This framed Mocker Swallowtail represents one of the most interesting and puzzling cases of evolution in the animal world. The males are distributed throughout all of sub-Saharan Africa and look the same. However, the females exist in at least 14 different variations with more waiting to be discovered. This makes the butterfly a favorite subject of geneticists who have long been interested in the mechanisms by which a single gene can produce so many different varieties. The females are also mimics of several distasteful butterflies of different species to deter predators.
What sets our frames apart from the rest?
• 99% UV blocking conservation glass so colors won’t fade.*
• All archival grade materials.
• Gallery quality wood shadowbox frame with hanger.
• Natural history information on antique-style museum label.
• Gift box & tissue paper.
• Hand-assembled in our Sonoma County California BUG studio.
* Highest-rated real framed insect displays in the world.
* Most competitors frame their insect displays with just basic picture frame glass that does not protect the vivid colors from UV rays. We use 99% UV blocking TRU VUE conservation glass, the same used in fine museums around the world.
Learn about our ethically sourced specimens.
Looking for insect decor inspiration? Check out our Customer Photos.